Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Ferocity of a Crab

     I recently posted to a blog on the message board of the Discovery Channel's website for the television series the Deadliest Catch. I was criticized by the other bloggers, and called names by the participants who didn't agree with my point of view on how the crab fishermen on the Bering Sea should stay at home if they expected the US Coast Guard to risk their lives trying to rescue them when they got into trouble.  View Post
     I just thought that the men, and women of the Coast Guard shouldn't have to risk their lives for people who put themselves into jeopardy just for a boat load of crab.  So I felt vindicated when they started to call me names, and such, because that's exactly how I felt about how we get treated by people when they find out that we have a mental illness, and have to live on disability.
     I think it's great how they support the crab fishermen, and I think it really helps people to understand that people with these kinds of illnesses are really in, 'the same boat' as the crab fishermen on the Bering Sea.  In fact, it's the exact opposite of the way we treat one another.
     If these people knew that they were expressing the positive issues of people being on disability for the rest of their lives with one of these disorders they would say the exact same thing as I have said about the crab fishermen on the Bering Sea.
     I wonder just how well the families of the rescue workers must feel when one of their loved ones dies rescueing these guys from crabbing.  I hope that by posting that message maybe people could see the correlation between the two types of people, and learn to help one another. Then I think the world would be a better place.  I just wish that people would stop dying from crab fishing, that's all.  


Kurt

No comments: